Computer Science PhD Student
I am a 2nd year PhD student in Computer Science at Brown University in the Encrypted Systems Lab where I study bias, audits, and verifiability in machine learning under the advise of Prof. Seny Kamara. I also work closely with Prof. Sarah M. Brown at the University of Rhode Island. Previously, I was an undergrad at the University of Maryland in College Park, where I worked with Prof. John Dickerson.
My work mostly falls at the intersection of machine learning and theory. I am interested in questions which examine and critque data-driven technological solutionism: when does it make sense to use machine learning, and when can the technology do harm?
Lately my research has been focused on understanding the efficacy of machine learning in achieving fair and equitable outcomes for underrepresented and marginalized groups. With the use of Optimal Transport, I am working to develop better measurements of equity and fairness, as well as better algorithms for the detection of bias.
Workshops (Peer Reviewed)
- Kweku Kwegyir-Aggrey, Sarah M. Brown. Measuring Bias with Wasserstein Distance, Workshop on Dataset Curation and Security co-located at Neurips 2020. (PDF) (Poster)
- Kweku Kwegyir-Aggrey, Enrique Areyan, Amy Greenwald. On Multi-Unit Markets w/ Supermodular Valuations, Black in AI Workshop co-located at Neurips 2019 (contributed talk).
- Featured in Prof. Charles Isbell's Keynote Address at Neuips 2020 (Dec. 2020)
- Joined the Encrypted Systems Lab at Brown University (Aug. 2020)
- Started my PhD in computer science at Brown University (Sep. 2019)
- Completed internship at Adobe Applied Research in San Francisco (Aug. 2019)
- I graduated from the University of Maryland in College Park. I studied math and computer science. (May 2019)
In my free time, I also like to play and study music. Recently, I was featured in a work entitled "Pass Me Not" - a segment focusing on examining the African Diaspora through song and dance as a part of Brown Art's Iniative ongoing series entitled "Remaking the Real." You can also catch me playing jazz in and around the Providence area.